The Gramophone Works, located at 326 Kensal Road, London, W10 5BZ, will be a new landmark canal-side commercial hub comprising a mix of refurbished and extended office spaces. We were appointed as Project Managers and Cost Consultants to refurbish and extend the existing 35,414 ft2 (GIA) building to provide an office development of 88,016 ft2 (GIA), comprising 1,119 ft2 (NIA) of café and 62,253 ft2 (NIA) of B1 office space within the new 6-storey building.
The scheme promotes the use of new sustainable technologies with the latest in timber technology and the development is also committed to integrating the scheme into the surrounding neighbourhood through its historic and social features and aspects. The Gramophone Works was the Environmental Prize Winner at New London Awards 2021.
The extensive sustainability credentials of the scheme include:
• Solar shaded curtain walling prevents overheating while allowing the maximum amount of natural light to be admitted through the building’s windows.
• Generous terraces with planting and open doors provide natural cross-ventilation, which minimises energy consumption.
• The use of an off-site manufactured structural timber frame to enable a more condensed construction program, reducing the number of heavy goods deliveries and the need for site storage.
• The CLT and Glulam have over 1000 tonnes of embedded CO2 sourced from sustainable forests.
• Structural elements that avoid waste, construction traffic and activity to reduce embodied carbon footprint.
• High-quality end of journey facilities and cycle storage is provided in the basement to encourage sustainable modes of transport.
After its completion, the Gramophone Works will be the largest CLT and Glulam Office building in the Europe. We are delighted to be part of the team:
Client / Funder: Resolution Property
PM/EA & QS: Quartz Project Services
Architect: Studio RHE
Structural Engineer: Heyne Tillett Steel
MEP Engineer: Atelier Ten
Planning Consultant: GVA
Contractor: Graham Construction