Digitalisation in the Construction Industry
July 2, 2021
UK lockdown has brought a great deal of change in every industry, including construction. Many construction companies and their workplaces have begun to consider new technological processes within digital and automated environments. This is not something new, however the widespread adaptation has become irreversible since the Covid-19 pandemic. As said by Hans Vestberg, “Disruption may be unprecedented, but things will never move so slowly again”.
For starters, a shift to remote working forced companies into using online software, particularly Cloud servers to maintain efficienct with effective communication channels given the forced lack of human interaction and hence face to face meetings. While we missed office life and believe nothing can truly replace interactions in person, it has brought a variety of opportunities and advantages for future working environments. We can frame it as shaping a new digital habit! Here is a small taste of the benefits seen:
- Increased efficiencies with real time, up-to-date information flows
- Enabled regular backups on web-based filling systems
- Increased data collection, supporting productivity and efficiency in the long run through analysis
- Greater focus on structural stability
- Adaptation of smart technologies
- Opportunity for a wider talent pool
- Improvised, new ideas
What lies ahead?
- The industry will become more data savvy, which is a big change for the construction industry that is typically traditional in it’s working approach.
- Construction professionals who understand new digital advancements and software’s will be in great demand.
- Technological advances could revolutionise almost all points of the construction cycle of a built asset, from conceptualisation to demolition.
- There will be an increase in the use of technology to lower a building’s carbon footprint and the use of resources and building models.
- By adopting new technologies, the construction industry will be dominated with mega-projects to build smart and sustainable cities.
October 3, 2022
September 5, 2022
August 16, 2022
August 1, 2022
July 20, 2022
July 5, 2022